Married Students

Students often ask if they are eligible for residency for tuition paying purposes if they are married or have recently married a resident of Washington state. The following situations may help answer your questions.

You should apply for residency for tuition paying purposes as a financially independent student unless you are significantly financially dependent on someone other than your spouse or domestic partner.

Not automatically. You will need to establish Washington as your domicile state and reside in the state for twelve (12) months prior to the quarter you wish to attend. However, if you are a US citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for the nonresident waiver eligible tuition rate. For more information, contact your campus Residency Classification Officer.

You are eligible for resident tuition if you are the spouse or dependent child of an active duty service member (your sponsor) stationed in Washington.

Questions? Your campus Residency Classification Officer can help.