The goal of the Opportunity Grant is to help adults from low-income households access high-wage, high-demand careers. Eligible students pursuing an approved program may receive funds to cover tuition and mandatory fees up to 45 credits and up to $1,000 for required books and supplies per academic year.
To be eligible for the Opportunity Grant:
- You must be a Washington State Resident (12 month minimum)
- Not have a prior associate degree or higher from a U.S. school
- Demonstrate financial need (by applying for financial aid and submitting one of the following)
- Enroll in an Opportunity Grant approved professional/technical program. There are many approved programs, and college staff can assist you in finding one that meets your needs and interests.
- Family income at or below 200 percent federal poverty level. We can help you determine your eligibility.
- You must be in good academic standing and demonstrate satisfactory academic progress with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to 2.5 (depending on college and program of study) or higher. Certain degrees may require a higher GPA. Consult with your workforce coordinator or your advisor.
To Apply for the Opportunity Grant
- Apply for financial aid.
- To find out if you qualify for an Opportunity Grant or other tuition assistance programs, take a brief survey through Start Next Quarter (follow link below).
Take the free Start Next Quarter survey. There is no obligation to follow through. Your responses remain anonymous unless you decide you want to do more. If you pre-qualify, you will be invited to attend a free education planning workshop where we will confirm your eligibility and help you determine your next steps.
Please use our feedback form to send us comments, recommendations, or corrections.