Seattle College District Policy
TITLE: Payment of Unused Sick Leave
In January of the year following any year in which a minimum of sixty (60) days of sick leave is accrued, any eligible employee upon written request, may receive remuneration for unused sick leave accumulated in the previous year at a rate equal to one day's current monetary compensation of the employee for each four days of accrued sick leave in excess of sixty (60) days. At the time of retirement from state service or at death, an eligible employee shall receive remuneration at a rate equal to one day's current monetary compensation of the employee for each four full days of accrued sick leave.
Sick leave for which compensation has been received shall be deducted from accrued sick leave at the rate of four days for every one day's pay.
Payments received for unused sick leave shall not be included for the purpose of computing a retirement allowance under any public retirement system.
No employee may receive compensation for any portion of sick leave accumulated at a rate in excess of one day per month.
Eligible employee for this purpose is defined by law as any employee of the state other than teaching and research faculty at institutions of higher education entitled to accumulate sick leave.
The District Human Resource Office shall maintain appropriate sick leave records and establish procedures for receiving and processing requests for payment of unused sick leave balances. provided that for the purposes of this POLICY all employee classifications will be treated equitably in the accumulation and deduction of sick leave days, specifically that;
- accumulated sick leave days taken or paid will be first deducted from those days accumulated at the rate of one day per month (12/year),
- the sixty day minimum accrual must be accumulated at a rate not in excess of one day per month.
- days lost due to an established maximum accumulation (i.e. 180 days) will be first deducted from those days accumulated at a rate greater than one day per month.
- sick leave accumulated in the previous year shall be the difference between days/hours accrued and taken, and
- the entire calendar year shall be used in determining sick leave accumulations.
Board of Trustees – Revision & Adoption History
Adoption Date : 1980/02/04
Revision Date : 1998/01/26